The Art Gallery
Get The Lowdown
- Course: Oregon State University's CS457: Online Capstone (2.5 months)
- Team Lead: Directed project, established game UX, main communication with third party contributors
- Team Artist: Character Designer, 2D Artist & Animator, UI assets
- Developer: Scripted procedural character generation, 2.5D stylization
- Tools: Procreate iOS, Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Maya, Unity3D
Interested in trying Hablo Gato?
- Hablo Gato is currently not available for demoing.
Let Me Tell You More
What is Hablo Gato exactly?
Hablo Gato is a prototype VR game that provides a language-immersion experience through speech recognition from the comfort of home, or wherever they may be. Traveling to immerse one's self in a country's language is the best way to learn, but that is a privilege. Compared to the cost of traveling and the development of XR technologies, this could be a very affordable option.
The Experience, My Thoughts
The idea of making a language immersion project has been in the back of my mind ever since my old hackathon team was mulling on doing it for a competition. To be honest, I’m not sure why we didn’t try back then, and now we've all gone our separate ways.
But when I found a team for my online Capstone course, we were selected to create a VR simulation based off the available projects we applied for. I immediately put this idea up for consideration and ended up leading it.
My team was great — we all learned from each other but also let ourselves thrive in our lanes. I ended up changing the anticipated art style a few times, and the overall look could be improved now that the project period is over. But ultimately I did more than I could chew, but the amount that I learned about setting up a small world with Unity was absolutely invaluable to the work I’m doing today. Overall, I would call this project a success, one that I’m excited to return to and improve on it more.